“A win against a team like South Africa will strengthen our immense self-belief that we can beat big sides in the knockout stages as well,” said Indian Vice Captain Virat Kohli yesterday. But will it really happen?
As India and South Africa begin their world cup face-off, we bring to you the six factors that can work in India’s favor today:
- A High Morale: While team India had not been at its aggressive best off late, after the victory against Pakistan in Adelaide, the team proved all critics wrong. The men in Blue are riding on a high morale, and that can surely do wonders in defeating one of the best teams in the world.
- Shikhar Dhawan: India’s opening batsman Shikhar Dhawan is in good shape and as India chooses to bat first, he can potentially sway the match in favour of team India.
- Virat Kohli: Kohli who is being touted as the next Sachin Tendulkar, is at his ballistic best. Against Pakistan in Adelaide, Kohli’s massive 107 had a huge contribution to make. Here’s hoping that Kohli can deliver the same magic against South Africa too.
- Captain Dhoni: While Dhoni did not seem to be in his element recently, after successfully preserving the tradition of never losing to Pakistan in world cup tournaments, he seems to be back in form. Hopefully “Captain Cool” will lead India to a historic victory against the tough South Africans and rewrite the history of Indo-South African matches in the world cup.
- A Young Team: While South Africa has never allowed India to score a victory against them in world cups, they have done so against an older Indian team. They knew the pulse of our veteran players like Tendulkar, Sehwag, Yuvraj, etc. This Indian team, however, is a new one, the South Africans are largely unfamiliar with their style and game. Who knows if this young Indian team can do what their ancestors were unable to do?
- A Massive Indian Support in the Stadium: For Team India, this match would be playing at a home ground, for 80 percent of the spectators are Indians. With crowds roaring and cheering for the them, the Indian team is sure to be on high spirits!
All in all, we wait with a baited breath and hope that India successfully breaks the South African jinx today!
Image Source: The Viewspaper