Team India is on an unending winning spree! After defeating their South Asian minnows Bangladesh in today’s second quarter final, Team India has stormed into the semi-finals of the tournament in style. Today’s victory must be a cause a double celebration in the dressing room as this is Indian skipper Mahindra Singh Dhoni’s 100th ODI victory as the team captain.
Although winning games may seem like a bit of a habit for India, there are always those players in every game who keep this habit going. The following are the 5 players who stood out in today’s match bringing, thus, the eleventh consecutive world cup victory for the men in blue:
- Rohit Sharma: To nobody’s surprise, India’s “Hitman”, Rohit Sharma, was declared the Man of the Match for his authoritative 137 runs. He kept absorbing the pressure in a largely subdued innings, but exploded in the end to go from 60 off 80 to 137 off 126, helping India score the second-highest score in a World Cup knockout match. While Sharma was coming under harsh criticism until recently for his performance (or the lack of it) this World Cup, after today’s match-winning performance, he has put all such criticisms to rest.
- Suresh Raina: Suresh Raina seemed to be in his element from the very start. He stung Bangladesh in a concentrated attack of 67 runs off 57 balls. His fifty came off 46 deliveries including five boundaries and a six along with a strike rate of 108.70. This was Raina’s 35th ODI half-century.
- Umesh Yadav: Bowlers are seldom given their due in cricket. However, ask anyone who even remotely follows cricket, and you’d know that this tournament has been all about India’s infallible bowling attack. Umesh Yadav’s four wickets against Bangladesh contributed immensely to ensure that India advances to the World Cup semifinals.
- Mohammed Shami: Mohammed Shami’s impeccable bowling has been consistent through this world cup. He took two crucial wickets in today’s match, thereby becoming the leading wicket taker of the tournament with 17 wickets in his kitty.
- Ravindra Jadeja: Jadeja has been the butt of criticism ever since the start of the tournament. However, today his performance played a crucial role in Team India’s victory. Although he could smash only 23 odd runs with his bat, but that was only because he entered the fray at last moment. He ended the Indian innings with style and it was his quickfire that pulled India to the magical 300 mark.
Although these five players stood out with their stunning performances, in the end, it was a team effort, as always. Here’s hoping that India maintains the same momentum and cohesion in the semi-finals and subsequently the finals too!
Image Source: The Viewspaper