In a terrifying incident that occurred last night, Malaysian Flight MH17 was shot down killing 295 people. This is the second misfortune for the airlines after the mysterious incident of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 that disappeared on March 8 this year.
Since the Wright Brothers invented the airplane in 1903, there have been fatal accidents involving airplanes. From hijacks to military action, mismanagement to sabotage or human error, the world has seen aircraft disasters that have killed many lives.
Below are video reports on some of the worst aviation accidents that occurred during the last twenty years:
- 1996: Saudi Arabian Airlines and Kazak Airlines collided mid-air at New Delhi airport killing all 351 on board.
- 2001: In a terrorist attack cum suicide bid, two United Airlines Flights and two American Airlines Flights was hijacked and flown into buildings in New York by terrorist group Al-Qaeda. None on board survived resulting in a total death of nearly 3000 including passengers and hijackers.
- 2001: American Airlines A300 carrying 260 people crashed shortly after take-off, killing all on board and another five on the ground.
- 2009: Pilot of Air France Flight 447 lost control of air traffic control and crashed into the Atlantic Ocean killing all 228 people on board.
- 2010: Air India Express Airliner on its way from Dubai to Mangalore in India crashed upon landing at Mangalore airport, killing 158 people.
Valentina Telien Kom
Image Source [https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/614540611/]