The ad filmmakers are formulating fresh ways of enticing consumers to buy products. If an advertisement for a product attracts the consumer, they tend to purchase it frequently, or at least buy it once. If a company has to survive in this competitive world, they have to project the image of their products in such a way that they pick up the maximum sales, when they hit stores.
The best way to persuade the consumer to stick to the product of the particular brand, when numerous choices are provided to them in the market – is through attractive advertisements. However, ad filmmakers should remember that the commercials can also have a negative IMPACT on people, especially young children. In this article, I have presented some of the most visible effects of advertising on children, positive as well as negative.
Positive Effects of Advertisements on Kids
1) Advertising makes the kids aware of the new products available in the market. It increases their knowledge about the latest innovations, in the field of technology as well as otherwise.
2) Convincing ads, which center around healthy food products, can help improve the diet of a child, if they are attractive enough.
Negative Effects Of Advertisement On Kids
1) Advertisements encourage the children to persuade their parents to purchase the products shown in the commercials, whether useful or not. The little ones tend to get adamant, if the product is not bought for them.
2) Children often tend to misinterpret the messages conveyed in commercials. They overlook the positive side and concentrate more on the negatives.
3) Many advertisements in the present times include dangerous stunts, which can be performed only by experts. Even though the commercials broadcast the statutory warnings with the ad, kids often try to imitate the stunts at home, with fatal results.
4) Flashy advertisements broadcast in television generate impulse shopping in children.
5) Children, after watching the glitter of commercials, often lose the ability to live a life without materialistic joy.
6) Kids usually get more attracted towards costly branded products, such as jeans and accessories. They disregard the inexpensive, but useful ones that are not shown in the commercials.
7) Advertisements have an indirect effect on the behavior of children. They might develop temper tantrums, when deprived of the latest toys and clothes that are shown in commercials.
8) The personal preferences in clothing, toys, food and luxurious of children are altered by advertisements, to a great extent.
9) Junk foods, such as pizzas, burgers and soft drinks, are heavily promoted during children’s TV viewing time. This develops a craving for fatty, sugary and fast foods in kids, thereby affecting their health adversely.
Teenager/ Student/ Internet Addict/ Ardent Cricket Fan/ Music Lover/ (Ir)regular Blogger/ Spends Dad’s Money
Image Source: [http://www.apa.org/Images/sep00-advertising_tcm7-42484.gif]