Rags to riches may be a story in fairy tale, but the people in the following list have lived a tremendous yet tumultuous life. Here are some of the most inspiring, real life instances!
- Oprah Winfrey: Oprah’s story of her life is no less than a fairy tale. She was born to unmarried teenage parents in Mississippi who parted ways the time she was born. Oprah was raised by her grandmother, who was poor yet provided her with the basic abilities to read and write. When she was six, when she went to live with her mother in the city of Milwaukee. She was still relatively young; however, she was doing great academically. She became rebellious soon and ran away from home, till she started living with her father in another city. Meanwhile, she continued to impress everyone with her mavericks and went on to becoming a radio jockey. There was no looking back thus. She eventually went on to anchor a T.V. Show and owns a Magazine of her own. Today she is among the most influential women in the World.
- Jim Carrey: Carrey wass born in Ontario, Canada. His father worked as an Accountant, however when Jim got older, his family situation deteriorated. The family shifted to a bigger city and everybody was forced to work at the Titan Wheels Factory. Jim was forced to work for 8 hours a day and then attend school. It was still very hard to keep the family stable. After moving out of the factory to new jobs, the situation worsened for the family. Eventually Jim had the courage to stand up and decide to act on the dream of becoming an actor/comedian. He did stand up gigs and loved it! Everyone loved it too! There was no looking back thus. Jim landed in several gigs and also stumbled upon an important role in the popular sitcom, a duck factory. Thus began Carrey’s career on the silver screen. He I touted as the most prolific comedian ever in the history of Cinema.
- Richard Branson: Born to a decent family in Blackheath, London. He received excellent education, however he did not do well in School, instead of focusing on school, he indulged himself in practical activities and short term businesses. Major portions of these business’ however failed to give him the real standing in the market what so ever. At 16, Branson was able to publish a Magazine and then set up a record mail order business. In1972, he was further able to open several record stores which he called the Virgin Records. In 1980, his record stores were able to flourish. Branson then set up the Virgin Atlantic Airlines while expanding the Virgin Records. After starting off as a poor student, and a man of very average potential, Branson has gone on to becoming the 254th richest man in the world!
- J.K. Rowling: Rowling was born in Yale in England. She was born to a very average middleclass English family, and formal primary education. Always fascinated by the fantastical world, Rowling started writing fantacies since a very young age. Catastrophe hit her life when her mother died and she was a state of utter helplessness. Like a nomad, she moved from villages in search of a shelter. She married and divorced within a few years after having a baby girl with her husband. Rowling had conceptualized the Potter series meanwhile. She was homeless and jobless. She sat at various café’s in an attempt to finish her novel. Rowling today is worth about $1.1 billion. Some 400 million copies of her books have already been sold, the count is not over still.
- Chris Gardener: Chris Gardener grew up without knowing his real father. His mother married a man who completely ruined his and his mother’s life! He was chased out of home and he had nowhere to go. He enlisted himself in the navy and soon became a medical supplies salesman. He got married, had a child but failed in his professional life. His wife left him, his son was thus the only source of motivation for him. He was able to grasp interest in stock broking. He enrolled himself to study for the licensing exam and passed it in the most trying conditions. By 1987, things took a completely new urn for Gardener, he was now the proud owner of the brokerage firm, Gardner Rich and Co. Will Smith’s ‘The Pursuit of Happyness’ was perhaps an adaptation of his life.
Thus such stories have managed to create massive stirs on the World map. With this rag to riches, the people and their stories remain etched in our heart and minds forever.