For an actor who has almost 100 Movies to his credit, and all of them big hits, selecting a few becomes problematic! None the less, we have put together the viewers’ top 09 favourites!
- ‘Guide’, tops the list of Anand’s greatest movies ever. With a powerful star power and brilliant music, especially ‘aaj phir jeene ki tamana hai’, brings back the old reveries of the classic 60s! This movie literally was decade definer!
- ‘Hum Dono’ is the 2nd classic hit of the great Dev Anand! The songs as usual were melodies and catered to all genres of listeners! The Chart busters were, ‘Main zindagi ka saath nibhata chala gaya’ and ‘abhi naa jaoo chod kar ke dil abhi bhara nahi’!
- ‘Tere Ghar ke Saamne’ dealt with the typical Bollywood plot! Enmity between two top notch businessmen and their children falling in love with each other! The music added color to this Romantic Treat! ‘Dil ka Bhawar Kare pukaar’, was the anthem of the decade!
- ‘Bombai ka Babu’ was another unconventional romantic genre that Dev Anand experimented with! This too was a musical blockbuster!
- ‘Kaala Bazaar’ was another buzzer on the box office of the Waheeda Rehman and Dev Anand duo! It began as a love hate relationship between the protagonists and ended in the blissful love story eventually! Great music made the Movie a smash hit again!
- ‘Prem Pujari’ may not have figured in this list had it not been for this song, ‘phoolon ke rang se, dil ki kalam se…’! Anand played a spy in this movie!
- ‘Teen Deviyan’ is the 7th greatest hit of Dev Anand! Spread around a young boy’s Love dilemma, this movie has been adopted and revamped several times, yet none of them have been even kind of close to what the Anand’s movie fever had created! Great music yet again!
- Johny Mera Naam was an out and out commercial Bollywood flick. Dev Anand’s bell bottoms became the new trend after this movie! Music, no prizes for guessing, a success story yet again!
- Jewel Thief was one of the best suspense thrillers of the ‘70s. Songs did the trick again!
This is probably Dev Anand’s best suspense film, which leaves you wondering who the real villain is. It was beautifully shot in Sikkim and the track Raat akeli hai, filmed on Tanuja, is one of the most seductive songs sung by Asha Bhosle.
Other hit songs from it included Hoton pe aisi baat main dabake chali aai, Dil pukare aa re, Yeh dil na hota bechara, Aasman ke neeche and Rula ke gaya sapna mera. Vyjayantimala Bali’s dancing was another highlight.