The first time when India won a game against Pakistan in the world cup was in 1992, today it was the sixth time with no defeats so far. With today’s stylish win, India has lifted its world cup record against Pakistan to 6-0. Millions of Indian fans had been waiting for this day from months, and finally their prayers have paid off. After winning the toss on the dry wicket of Adelaide Oval, Indian Captain MS Dhoni decided to bat first, and Indian top order proved his decision right. India posted a massive total of 300 for the loss of 7 wickets, while their Pakistani counterparts couldn’t go past 224. India won the match by 76 runs and kept its record against Pakistan 100%.
Here are five major things that India favored team India in this match-
1. Won The Toss: Irrespective of whether it is a test match or an ODI, the toss plays an important role at Adelaide Oval. Today Dhoni won an important toss, which allowed India to put a massive total on the scoreboard.
2. In Form Top Order: Before this match, India’s top order had been going through a nightmare in Australia for almost two months, with none of its batsmen were able to score runs. They all looked different today. Right from Shikhar Dhawan to Suresh Raina, everyone looked in fine touch. Dhawan scored a well constructed 73 runs and never looked in trouble while Raina played a quick innings of 74 runs off 54 balls with 5 boundaries and 3 sixes. Virat was his played his natural game rather stylishly and scored his 22nd ODI century, thus winning the Man of the Match award.
3. Top Notched Bowling: When was the last time you had seen Indian pace attack sharing 80% wickets without giving away unnecessary runs? Today, India’s fast bowlers took 8 wickets and gave away just 120 runs in 28 overs.
4. Irfan’s 7’2 Effect Faded Away: Before this game, everyone was talking about how Indian batsmen would play Mohammad Irfan’s quick and bouncy deliveries. None of the Indian top order batsmen looked in trouble against him though. Dhawan’s massive six against Irfan will be remembered for a long-long time. Irfan’s figures in this match were 10-0-58-0.
5. Hunger For Win Against Pakistan: Today the Indian team looked motivated and determined to prove a point, right from the first over of the match. It revived the memories of all the previous wins in 1992, 1996, 1999, 2003, and 2011.
India has initiated its mission world cup in a great way, but there is still a long way to go. The match against South Africa on February 22 will be the biggest test of Dhoni’s army. We have improved our record against Pakistan today; let’s hope that the men in blue can pull off a similar victory against South Africa too.