Bollywood superstar Salman Khan has been found guilty of killing a homeless man in a 2002 hit-and-run after a night out drinking. He has been convicted of culpable homicide not amounting to murder. “All charges against you have been proven,” announced Judge DW Deshpande.
“You were driving the car, without a license and you were under the influence of alcohol,” he added, putting years of speculation about Bhai’s fate to rest. The judgment? The nation’s heartthrob has been sentenced to 5 years of jail.
While Salman Khan is no stranger to run-ins with law, there are quite a few Bollywood celebrities who have dared to mess with the law. So, we bring to you the list of such celebs who are caught in a legal maze.
- Shiney Ahuja: Who can forget the ignominious case against the lowly Shiney Ahuja? In 2011 the C-grade actor was sentenced to 7 years of rigorous imprisonment for raping his domestic help in 2009. Albeit the victim retracted her statement subsequently, the court did not go back on its sentence on the basis of circumstantial evidence.
- Fardeen Khan: You might have forgotten the man by now, so here’s a hint: he is the guy behind the disaster called Prem Agan. Now that there is no room for any confusion, here’s why he was arrested – he was caught purchasing cocaine in 2011.
- Shah Rukh Khan: So we finally have someone from Salman Khan’s league (if not good books), in this list. In 2013, a sex determination case had been filed against Shah Rukh Khan and his wife, Gauri. This came in after the most recent addition to their family, AbRam, was born. A number of social activists filed the case alleging that SRK and his family already knew the sex of their baby before he was born.
- Sanjay Dutt: The ‘Bad Guy’ as he is generally referred to, Sanju Baba is currently completing his five year term in jail following the 1993 Mumbai Blasts. He’s a man whose entire life was changed by a gun for, he was found to be in the illegal possession of a nine mm pistol and an AK 56 assault rival.
His arrest also came under heavy criticism from his Bollywood brethren who insisted that Sanju was now indeed a “changed” man, and being sentenced for something that happened decades ago, is principally unjustified.
- Saif Ali Khan: The Nawab of Bollywood too has had his unpleasant tryst with the legal system. In 2012, he was booked for assault under section 325 of IPC for allegedly punching a South African businessman seated next to him in a restaurant in Colaba, while the Nawab was dining with his dame, Kareena Kapoor Khan, and a few others.
Image Source: The Viewspaper