The last thing one would need after shelling out Rs 500 for a movie ticket would be a disaster. Storming out of the theatre because the movie did not meet expectations causes frustration among a large number of movie goers. This is because most movie buffs like me, enjoy watching decent cinema and watch a movie with some amount of expectations. Inability to meet expectations is what most movies have managed to do so far.
We are currently almost half way through the year. Bollywood and Hollywood together have seen a series of hits and duds at the box office already. With Bollywood scoring high on the duds, Hollywood however has given the audience a fair share of good and bad. Hindi cinema has currently released a total of films while Hollywood has released around films. It would be difficult and a little clichéd to build up a list of the top 10 awaited releases in both Hollywood and our very own Bollywood. Therefore a mix of some of the best movies released in the year 2010 that have set a benchmark for other films to come is what we will look through.
2010 has not just seen some of the best works in terms of film making but has also seen actors give their best in terms of their performances in the movie. Bollywood has had movies meet international standards and seek collaborations as well. The music in most movies seems fresh, upbeat and groovy. Talent has been found and made known.
Some of the best movies this year, in chronological order are:
* Inception- the story revolves around the main lead, also possibly the main attraction of the film Leonardo Dicaprio who plays Dom Cobb, a skilled thief. Crime is what the characters in the movie are all related to. And through imagery, camera effects, a good script, dialogues and some amazing acting skill display, this movie has been able to grasp its viewer’s attention. Possibly the most talked about and till date the best movie, Inception is a must watch.
* Rajneeti- in a country like India, political power, corruption, mind games and race for power are not really brought to the forefront. Movies like Rajneeti are capable of doing just that. Rajneeti, directed by Prakash Jha, is the story of Indian Democracy and its dark side. Through drama revolving around the lives of its characters, Rajneeti brings to its audience the truth that lies behind the facets of the politicians that our country is now being ruled by. It’s the truth through the director’s eyes and the work of some dialogues that linger even after you walk out of the theatre.
* Shutter Island- again another Leonardo DiCaprio film, Shutter Island is a movie one should watch clearly for its story, imagery implied and the building up suspense and thriller. Its not a fast paced movie but a decent watch for viewers who consider technical aspects and enjoy suspense and mystery.
* Udaan- screened at the Cannes film festival, this movie is definitely a must watch in terms of the narrative and film making. Udaan is a movie most youth of today who want to have a career of their own and live life on their own terms rather than following the dictates of their parents would narrate to. With simple, out of the ordinary characters working in the film, Udaan helps you to relate to every aspect of it, with a very young star cast and a young director as well, Udaan is a movie that inspires you to be the person you want to be.
* Ishqiya- With a debutante director, music by Vishal Bharadwaj and amazing talent in Naseeruddin Shah, Arshad Warsi and Vidya Balan, Ishqiya is one film that you shouldn’t ignore. Ishqiya is a movie about an uncle-nephew duo of runaway thieves, who after duping their boss seek refuge in the house of an old acquaintance. To their surprise they meet the acquaintance’s widow instead. Following this is a pacy robbery, a love triangle and lots of song and dance. In a period of dumb comedies, Ishqiya starring Naseeruddin Shah, Arshad Warsi and Vidya Balan gives you a breather.
* Alice in Wonderland – capturing the wonder of Louis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland, with amazing visuals and most charismatic characters, the movie was made in 3D with stellar performances by Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway and Mia Wasikowska. A treat for all 3D and Alice in wonderland book lovers.
* Raavan- a Mani Ratnam film, most Indian film students would tell this film should never be missed. Raavan like its southern counterpart is a movie that can both entertain and thrill. Most people would not agree with what I say. However, the mere use of the camera, locations, cinematography and action is what are the most thrilling features of the film. The technical use of the camera and the backdrop, against which most of its action scenes are set, makes the movie a very interesting watch.
Besides these films some of the most awaited movies yet to be released in 2010 include:
Aisha – Already released – you could putting in a few lines about this movie as well.
Step up 3D
Peepli Live – Already released – you could putting in a few lines about this movie as well.
So if you’re a person who like me enjoys the technicalities of the film making process or are just someone who watches a movie for its entertainment quotient, then these are some of the movies you must watch at least once through the year. Hope you enjoy the top ten list for 2010, popcorn in tow.
Image Source : http://www.flickr.com/photos/gramz/2140142288/sizes/m/]