In December 2014, the central government decided to decriminalize “attempt to suicide”. Albeit it was not an acknowledgement of the assertion that death should be as much a fundamental right of a human being as is life, it was widely welcomed.
The more one reads about suicide, the more one is compelled to break away from the absurd idea correlating suicide to cowardice.
Skimming over existentialist texts all day today, I thought of bringing together a few quotes that capture, rather beautifully, the clarity, and not the much spoken of dilemma, of the suicidal mind.
- “Did you really want to die?”
“No one commits suicide because they want to die.”
“Then why do they do it?”
“Because they want to stop the pain.”
―Tiffanie DeBartolo, How to Kill a Rock Star
- “The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets through many a dark night.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Killing oneself is, anyway, a misnomer. We don’t kill ourselves. We are simply defeated by the long, hard struggle to stay alive. When somebody dies after a long illness, people are apt to say, with a note of approval, “He fought so hard.” And they are inclined to think, about a suicide, that no fight was involved, that somebody simply gave up. This is quite wrong.”
― Sally Brampton, Shoot the Damn Dog: A Memoir of Depression
- “I think many people kill themselves simply to stop the debate about whether they will or they won’t.”
- “Some people are just not meant to be in this world. It’s just too much for them.”― Phoebe Stone, The Boy on Cinnamon Street
- “Life’s greatest gift is the freedom it leaves you to step out of it whenever you choose.”
― André Breton, Anthology of Black Humor
It’s all crap.
Living is crap.
Life has no meaning.
Nowhere to be found.
Why doesn’t anybody realize this?”
― K-Ske Hasegawa, Ballad of a Shinigami, Vol. 1
- “In my view, suicide is not really a wish for life to end.’
What is it then?’
It is the only way a powerless person can find to make everybody else look away from his shame. The wish is not to die, but to hide.”
― Orson Scott Card, Ender’s Shadow
- “The language of love letters is the same as suicide notes.”
- “No man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping.”
― David Hume, Essays on Suicide and the Immortality of the Soul
Image Source: The Viewspaper